The Eastchester Citizen, Wakefield (1891-1899);
The Press of Bronxville, Crestwood, Tuckahoe, Fleetwood, Scarsdale (1927);
The Tuckahoe Press (1927-1929);
The Daily Record (1929);
The Tuckahoe Record (1929-1931)
Formed by a merger of the Eastchester Citizen of Wakefield and the Bulletin of Tuckahoe, The Eastchester Citizen-Bulletin began publication in Tuckahoe, NY, in 1899. It was a “Democratic newspaper issued every Wednesday” and called itself the “Official paper of the County of Westchester, Town of Eastchester and Village of Tuckahoe.” The weekly focused on news in Eastchester’s neighborhoods: Park View Heights, Fairview Park, North End, Crestwood, Westchester Park, Waverly and Tuckahoe. It also covered events in Bronxville, and following the establishment of The Bronxville Review in 1902, the two papers’ news and editorial pages frequently clashed.
The Eastchester Citizen-Bulletin featured news of the local marble quarries, industries such as Hodgman Rubber, the Tuckahoe and Eastchester School Districts, sporting events such as golf tournaments and high school athletics, Eastchester town and Tuckahoe Village government, and Irish, Italian and African-American immigrants.
In February 1925 a group of Bronxville and Tuckahoe businessmen began publishing a new weekly, The Bronxville Press, to be an “independent, non-political newspaper” serving Bronxville, the town of Eastchester and adjoining areas. The Bronxville Press bought the Citizen-Bulletin on November 4, 1925, and in April 1927 the two papers were combined to form an ambitious new semi-weekly, The Press of Bronxville, Crestwood, Tuckahoe, Fleetwood, Scarsdale. This experiment was not well received, and after only five months the paper reverted to two separate weeklies: The Bronxville Press (to cover Bronxville and Fleetwood) and The Tuckahoe Press (“in which the Eastchester Citizen-Bulletin was continued”). In 1929, The Tuckahoe Press was absorbed by a competitor, The Tuckahoe Record, “with which is consolidated the Tuckahoe Press and the Eastchester Citizen-Bulletin.” At the end of 1929, the three titles were replaced briefly by The Daily Record, which published daily for three months before closing. The Tuckahoe Record resumed publishing as a weekly immediately thereafter.